1.President Buhari announced on Wednesday 6th June 2018 that our democracy day will be changed from May 29th to June 12 starting from next year 2019. This was in recognition of June 12th 1993 Presidential election, which was the freest and fairest election that produced late MKO Abiola as the presumed winner. President Buhari also conferred a posthumous award of Grand Commander of the Federal Republic (GCFN) to Chief Abiola. By this very act, the federal government has directly and indirectly vindicated MKO Abiola.
2.President Buhari should have gone ahead to posthumously announce the remaining result of June 12 1993 Presidential election, former President Babangida failed to officially announce the complete result.
3.President Buhari should send urgent bill to the National Assembly, to wholeheartedly adopt Option A4 System of voting which made it possible for Chief MKO Abiola to emerge the presumed winner of 1993 Presidential election. This system produced the freest and fairest election in the history of Nigeria. We need it now.
4. The federal government should also posthumously honour other people that died as a result of events that followed the annulment of June 12th 1993 Presidential election.
5. The federal government should apologize to Nigerians over the role of Babangida’s government in annulling that election. They should pay compensation to those directly and indirectly affected by the crisis that followed June 12th 1993 Presidential election annulment.
6. The posthumous award of Grand Commander of the Order of Niger (GCON) to Late Chief Gani Fawehinmi. Not sure if Late Chief Gani Fawehinmi would have accepted this award if he was alive, considering the poor human right records of this government, an example is the inability of this government to protect Nigerians from Fulani Herdsmen. To date none has been arrested and prosecuted.
7. President Buhari appears to want to right the wrongs of past governments, for his political gains or otherwise. In the same spirit, He should immediately remove IPOB as a terrorist group because they are not. The question of South East marginalization Must be looked into.
8. Families of those innocent Nigerians killed by Boko Haram and Fulani Herdsmen deserve apology from the federal government as well as compensation. Doing the above, will come with political gains to him, but it will usher in the true healing for Nigeria.