1. The South East Governors took a brief on the rehabilitation and expansion of the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu from His Excellency, the Governor of Enugu State, Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi and the Chairman of the Works Committee of the South East Governors on the Project, Sir Engr. Chris Okoye FNSE.
(a) Forum noted the quality and speedy progress of work by the contractor, PW Nig. Ltd. Forum is very satisfied with the progress so far made and
assurances of integrated safety and landing facilities, fencing and drainages incorporated in this package.
(b) Forum, therefore, commended His Excellency, Mr. President for his prompt in full release of special funding for the project.
(c) Forum also commended the Governor of Enugu State for making more land available and his commitment in the overall success of the project.
(d) Forum also commended the Hon. Minister of Aviation, Senator Hadi Sirika for his commitment and constant supervision of the project.
(e) Forum also commended the Works Committee Chairman on the project, Sir Engr. Chris Okoye and his team for efficient supervision and monitoring of the project.
(f) Forum assures our people that Mr. President, the Hon. Minister of Aviation, the Chief of Staff to Mr. President and indeed all stakeholders to this project are committed to the re-opening of the Airport by 31 of March, 2020. All inconveniences are regretted.
2. Forum took brief from the Governor of Abia State, His Excellency, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu on the Enugu-PH Federal Highway that is on-going. Forum commended the Federal Government on speedy and quality work, though a
number of sections are yet to be attended to, especially the Abia-PH axis being handled by a Chinese Company. Our findings show that they are not yet properly funded, as to effect reasonable work before the rainy season. While thanking Mr. President and the Hon. Minister of Works for this road, we appeal that all the companies be fairly funded so as to attend to most of the deplorable sections before the rainy season.
(a) The Governor of Abia State, His Excellency, Chief Okezie Ikpeazu also briefed Forum on the Enyimba Economic City. He assured on the success of the programme so far. He, however, requested that the associated part of the programme, which is the ring road connecting South East and South South be commenced.
3. Forum took a brief from the Governor of Anambra State, His Excellency, Chief Willy Obiano, represented by His Deputy, His Excellency, Dr. Nkem Okeke on the progress of work on the 2 Niger Bridge. A full view of on-going work was shown to the South East Governors. Forum and stakeholders commended Mr. President, the Hon. Minister of Works, the Chief of Staff to Mr. President and the Managing Director of National Social Investment Authority (NSIA), Mr. Uche Orji, for making this project a reality. With the level of funding by Mr. President, we are confident that this project shall be completed in his tenure.
4. The Forum received our South East Joint Security Committee and noted as follows:
(a) That the South East Governors had formed their South East Joint Security on July 28, 2019 and inaugurated her Committee on Joint Security on the 31 of August, 2019.
(b) Forum took briefing from the Chairman of South East Joint Security Committee and are satisfied with all the arrangement that will lead to South East State Houses of Assembly to enact a law to back up the South East Security Programme with a name to the outfit.
(c) Forum had written the Federal Government in this respect and at an appropriate time we shall be inviting the Federal Government to note the details of our Joint Security Programme.
(d) We wish to assure our people that we have our State Vigilante and the Forest Guards in all the South East States, who work with security agencies daily in our various communities for protection of lives and property.
(e) We, again, assure our people that the protection of their lives and property is paramount to us and we are committed to just doing that.
5. We thank Ohaneze Ndi Igbo for visiting us in our meeting, today, as we note all the useful advice given to the Forum. We pledge to work with them for the benefit of our people.
*_Issued and signed this 9th February, 2020 by Chief David Nweze Umahi FNSE, FNATE, Chairman, South East Governors Forum and Governor of Ebonyi State._*
Also read: Boko Haram at Abia State is Mission Impossible. South East cannot afford to have Boko Haram. https://youtu.be/KcWrRPeQMEE